homemade faster: the housewife disaster

Saturday, April 16, 2011

kitchen rant

Pantone Honeysuckle: colour i like but layout i heart

Okay...I love interior design.  I can hardly do anything in my spare time besides pour over blogs about this subject.  I know it's my obsession because my friends and family tell me so.  But that's okay.....I know I am.  I have nearly every room in my house redone, in my mind, and it looks better than I could have imagined. 

One of the things that I'm always on the look out for are pictures of kitchens that have the same layout as my future kitchen.  So enter Pantone's colour of the year! 18-2120 TCX Honeysuckle is very pink  (as if my firefighting slash plumber husband would ever let me use it on cabinets, but the way this story is heading, remember, is for the layout.)  The sink on the window wall without uppers and the adjacent wall with range and double hung uppers meet the criteria.  So does the complete departure island that says, "I wasn't in the original design, but I'm here anyway.  And I will NOT have a glossy black counter, nor will possess any storage possibilities.  And I will never EVER be Pantone's colour of the year!"  I like islands with attitude.  They provide the necessary tension that a kitchen needs to look and feel decorated over time and never predictable. 

So there you have it:  a suitable layout with surprising island.  I should mention that opposite the window wall I'll have a pantry wall with doors painted some shade of turquoise.  Maybe it's Pantone's colour of the year from 2010: 15-5519 TCX turquoise (boo-yah! my favorite colour).  We'll also have a vintage stove with plants on it and the good tea towels that the kids and my husband are not allowed to touch, which we will only use when we need the extra burners.  That will be opposite the range wall and next to the "deep-freeze-in-separate-room with-attractive-wallpaper,-window,-hooks-for-bbq-utensils,-and-extra-fridge". 

It will be perfect!!
Hope your day is fantastic,
Debony

Pantone Turquoise: colour i heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment